A 10-month-old boy found infected with the vaccine derived polio virus (VDPV), type P2 died in Latur district civil hospital due to brain damage in Beed on Saturday, doctor said.
Rohit Rajabhu Shelke, found infected with Vaccine Derived Polio Virus (VDPV) type 2 was diagnosed with fever on April 27, 2013 and suffered paralysis of left limbs on May 4, followed by convulsions.
The other limbs were eventually paralysed, after which he was admitted to a private hospital in Ambejogai. Later on May 9, he was shifted to the Government Medical College, Latur.
Latur District Civil hospital's Medical Officer Dr SJ Gore said that though the boy died following a convulsion, the exact cause of the death could only be known after the post-mortem report.
Deputy director of health, Latur circle, Ganesh Ramteke confirmed about the boy's death.
According to medical sources, there was a gap of seven months between the first and the second polio doses administered to the child, instead of the ideal period of a month.