The Maharashtra State Women’s Commission (MSWC) on Thursday again summoned Bollywood actor Salman Khan to be present in the office on July 14 to explain his controversial ‘rape’ remark, after he failed to appear before the panel for the second time.
He has been given a “third and final” chance to appear before the panel.
“We can summon a person thrice and this is his (Salman Khan) third summon,” Vijaya Rahatkar chairperson, MSWC told news agency ANI.
“We are not satisfied with his response and are not accepting his response. We have concurrent power and thus the hearing will take place before us. And, if he evades the third summons, the law will take its course,” Rahatkar said in response to a letter sent by the actor to the commission.
Salman’s lawyer had on June 29 urged the MSCW not to pursue the matter to avoid duplication since it was already being dealt with by the National Commission for Women (NCW).
The 50-year-old actor sparked uproar when he made the comments during an interview with entertainment website spotboye.com to promote his upcoming movie ‘Sultan’ that tells the story of an ageing wrestler trying to make a comeback.
“When I used to walk out of the ring, after the shoot, I used to feel like a raped woman. I couldn’t walk straight,” the ‘Dabangg’ actor said earlier on June 21.
However, Salman’s father Salim Khan and brother Arbaaz Khan had earlier come out in his defence and said that the intention behind the ‘rape’ remark was not wrong.
Many women activists have also demanded an apology from the Bollywood star and saying that he should think before he speaks as the people look up to him for the so called good deeds he does on screen.