A major tragedy was averted at the office of urban development and urban local bodies minister Nawang Rigzin Jora in Civil Secretariat here on Monday, where a fire broke out after a short-circuit.
The blaze was brought under control without any loss of life, even as office furniture was gutted.
The incident took place around 11am, soon after the media briefing by chief minister Omar Abdullah on the first day of the government at the civil secretariat as per of the annual darbar move.
Sources said, during the cleaning of personnel section of the office, the staff noticed smoke coming out of the ceiling. Soon the staff, along with the fire brigade unit stationed at the civil secretariat, removed the furniture and other equipment from the office. One sofa, however, was gutted completely.
Meanwhile an inquiry has been ordered to probe the cause of short-circuit.