Advertisement

HindustanTimes Mon,22 Sep 2014

Maoists admit killing innocents in their war

B Vijay Murty, Hindustan Times  Jamshedpur, September 15, 2009
First Published: 00:15 IST(15/9/2009) | Last Updated: 00:17 IST(15/9/2009)
The Communist Party of India-Maoist has for the first time admitted that many innocents have been killed in its “revolutionary war for India’s 85 per cent population living in the rural areas.”

Advertisement

“We admit some common people have been killed during our war with the State's armed formations due to technical errors,” said CPI-Maoist spokesperson and the party central committee's second-in-command, Koteshwar Rao alias Kishanji.

Maoists have killed about 10,500 people — policemen, security forces personnel and ordinary people — over the past eight years in seven states where they have a strong presence. They have killed more than 700 people so far this year, intelligence sources told HT.

Rao admitted that as long as their war is on, such “errors” would keep recurring. “But we have initiated steps towards minimising it,” he said.

The admission comes at a time when mainstream political parties in Maoist-affected states, especially West Bengal and Jharkhand, are crying foul against the extremist outfit for killing innocent party cadres and ordinary people.

“Killing of innocent people has spread a negative opinion about us in the urban middle class,” Rao said. But he said the Maoists have the support of 50 per cent people in the rural areas in states where the party has a strong presence support.

The Maoist leader said that when the movement spread, several lumpen elements joined the organisation but did not change their outlook. He said the organisation discarded them but they formed rebel outfits and resorted to looting.

“There are at least six such rebel organisations operating in Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and West Bengal, which are tarnishing the CPI-Maoist image by killing innocent people. We will punish them,” he said.


Advertisement
more from India

CBI chief's guest list: SC seeks help of SPP

No relief yet for CBI director Ranjit Sinha in the guest list controversy, the Supreme Court has sought the assistance of  the Special Public Prosecutor in the 2G case. The SC has also agreed to hear lawyer-activist Prashant Bhushan's plea on why he can't name the whistleblower who provided him the list.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved