Advertisement

HindustanTimes Wed,26 Nov 2014

Mumbai blasts - court starts process on probation pleas

IANS  Mumbai, May 16, 2007
First Published: 18:06 IST(16/5/2007) | Last Updated: 19:09 IST(16/5/2007)

A special court trying the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts cases on Wednesday started the process of calling reports from probation officers for the convicts who are seeking benefits under the Probation of Offenders Act (PoA).

Advertisement

Meanwhile, judge Pramod Kode, of the special court set up under the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act, declared that he would start delivering the final verdict from Friday.

"I have said that sentencing will start from May 18 and I will start on that day," Kode said addressing the prosecution and defence teams in Mumbai.

Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt and his three friends - Yusuf Nulwala, Rusi Mulla and Kersi Adajenia - have filed applications seeking relief under the section of  PoA.

Dutt, was, however, not present in the court on Wednesday as he was exempted from personal appearance.

Several other convicts have also submitted a letter signed by them jointly to Kode and urged that they should be given parity with Dutt and be offered benefits of PoA.

Meanwhile, all the 100 convicts - including nine others who had been granted time to surrender till further orders - has been asked to be present in the court on Friday. The sentencing would go on for a few weeks, TADA court sources said.


Advertisement
more from India

Obama to spend two days in India, hold summit-level talks with Modi

US President Barack Obama’s state visit to India in January to attend the Republic Day Parade will be spread over two days and include summit-level talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved