More than 400 students of a Mumbai school were hospitalised on Monday with symptoms of food poisoning after eating a cake served in mid-day meal.
Students from classes 1 to 8 of Anjuman Nurool Islam Urdu School complained of uneasiness after having the food.
The incident comes around four months after a poisonous mid-day meal claimed 23 children in Bihar’s Saran district.
“We rushed the students to nearby hospitals,” said NM Malik, the Mumbai school principal.
Doctors said the children were stable and many were discharged on Monday.
“No child was critical. Many were discharged on Monday and most of them should feel better by Tuesday,” said Dr Utkarsh Amgachekar, director of Paramount Hospital, where 120 students were admitted.
As many children were taken to Apex Multispecialty Hospital, with symptoms of vomiting, giddiness and pain in the stomach.
About 60 patients were taken to Muktabai Municipal Hospital in Ghatkopar and the rest to other neighbouring health centres.
Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation education officer Ravindra Bhise said the civic body was likely to lodge a complaint with the police against the organisation — Parivartan Mahila Bachat Mandal — that supplies mid-day meal to the school.
“We have instructed the school management to an FIR against the organisation,” said Bhise.