Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,21 Dec 2014

Extremely safe and happy in India, says Shah Rukh Khan

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, January 29, 2013
First Published: 21:24 IST(29/1/2013) | Last Updated: 14:39 IST(30/1/2013)

With his comments sparking a war of words between India and Pakistan, actor Shah Rukh Khan attempted to put an end to the controversy on Tuesday.

"Being an Indian is an unconditional accepted truth of my life," the actor said in a statement.

"I do not even understand the basis of this controversy… Nowhere does the article state or imply that I feel unsafe, troubled or disturbed in India... I would like to tell all those who are offering me unsolicited advice that we in India are extremely safe and happy."

SRK, in an interview to Outlook Turning Points magazine, had talked about being a Muslim in India, following which Lashkar-e-Taiba founder Hafiz Saeed said the actor was welcome to stay in Pakistan if he felt "insecure" in India.

On Tuesday, Pakistani interior minister Rehman Malik said India should provide security to the actor, prompting a rebuke from Indian home secretary RK Singh.

"We are quite capable of looking after the security of our own citizens... let him (Malik) worry about the security of his own," Singh said.

India's political class joined Singh in slamming Malik. Shiv Sena spokesperson Sanjay Raut said there was no need for Malik to "meddle in our internal affairs".

The Congress, too, condemned Malik's statement.

"Even when Pakistani artists come here, we provide security to them... Muslims are most safe in India," spokesperson Rashid Alvi said.

 

In an statement issued on Tuesday night, SRK said his comments had been "twisted" out of context.

"Ironically the article I wrote (yes, it's written by me) was actually meant to reiterate that on some occasions, my being an Indian Muslim film star is misused by bigots and narrow minded people who have misplaced religious ideologies for small gains... and ironically, the same has happened through  this article... once again."

"The reason for this primarily is... I think some of the people have not even read it and are reacting to comments of people, who in turn have also not read it. So I implore you all to first read it."


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

Flab-trap: Cosmetic surgery post weight loss on the rise

IT professional, Anita*, 51, was ecstatic when she lost 15 kg in just five months. But, the sudden weight loss had ended up making her look much older. Last month, she borrowed money from friends to get a facelift at a clinic in Bandra. “I was tired of looking fat. My marriage and work life were being affected and that’s when I decided to lose weight. I nearly starved and lost all the extra kilos but I ended up looking much older,” said Anita, who spent Rs75,000 on the cosmetic procedure.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved