Advertisement

HindustanTimes Tue,21 Oct 2014

Sakinaka explosion: Factory had no licence to operate

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, March 31, 2013
First Published: 00:45 IST(31/3/2013) | Last Updated: 00:46 IST(31/3/2013)

A day after a major explosion at an aluminium casting factory and consequent wall collapse at Saki Naka claimed five lives and severely injured three others, the civic body’s inquiry states that the unit had been functioning without a requisite licence.

Advertisement

The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has now said that prosecution action would be initiated against the owner of the unit, Mahi Industries.

“Our inspection report has found that the small-scale industrial unit where the explosion occurred was running without any legitimate practice permit. As per the rules, procedure to file prosecution action against the owner of the unit is in progress,” said Harshad Kale, assistant municipal commissioner of L ward.

Kale said that prosecution action against such unauthorised units in the area was regularly conducted.

“There are many unauthorised factory units in the area and our preliminary inquiry states that this particular unit was started only four months ago. Not only did it not have a trade licence, a no-objection certificate from the fire brigade stating adherence to fire safety norms was also not sought,” said a senior civic official, who did not wish to be named.

Fire officials said investigations to ascertain the cause of the explosion were on.

L-ward officials also claimed they are considering other legal options to take preventive action units that flout safety norms. In a step towards this, the civic body has begun talks with power supply firms to permanently cut off supply of electricity to these units.

“Though we have begun prosecution action as per the rules, there is a need to look at a long-term solution to stop illegal units from functioning since they pose a grave risk of such accidents,” said Kale.

“Therefore, we have had initial discussions with Reliance Power to permanently consider cutting off power supply to these units,” he added.


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

Errant schools get a second chance to admit RTE students

Deferring its decision to recommend de-recognition of those schools which refused admissions to RTE students, the education department has now given them a second chance to admit students.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved