Mutilation of bodies act of barbarism, forces will react appropriately: Jaitley | india-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 22, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Mutilation of bodies act of barbarism, forces will react appropriately: Jaitley

Pakistani forces killed two Indian soldiers and mutilated their bodies along the Line of Control on Monday morning, the army’s Northern Command said while promising to “appropriately respond” to the “despicable act”.

india Updated: May 28, 2017 10:46 IST
Agencies
Union minister Arun Jaitley addresses an event in New Delhi.
Union minister Arun Jaitley addresses an event in New Delhi.(PTI FILE)

The mutilation of the bodies of two Indian soldiers by Pakistan is an act of barbarism and the armed forces will react to it appropriately, defence minister Arun Jaitley said on Monday.

Under the cover of heavy mortar fire, a Pakistani special forces team sneaked 250 metres across the Line of Control (LoC) into the Poonch sector and beheaded two Indian security personnel, officials said earlier in the day.

In a strong reaction, Jaitley said such attacks do not even take place during war and that the whole country has full faith in the armed forces.

“Bodies of soldiers being mutilated is an extreme form of barbaric act. The government of India strongly condemns this act. The whole country has full faith in our armed forces which will react appropriately to the act,” Jaitley said.

He said sacrifice of the soldiers will not go in vein.

“This is a reprehensible and an inhuman act. Such attacks do not take place during war,” he said.

The Indian Army vowed an “appropriate” response to the “despicable act”, which significantly took place a day after Pakistan army chief Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa visited some areas along the LoC and promised support to the Kashmiris.

Condemning the deaths of Indian soldiers, the Congress said “unacceptable” actions like these won’t help Pakistan in improving its internal situation.

“We condemn what Pakistan did. It must stop terrorism and realise that these actions are unacceptable,” Congress leader Anand Sharma said at a press conference in New Delhi.

Noting that the Pakistani forces were attacking Indian posts even after the surgical strikes in September last year, he said it was a “cause of concern”.

“Six major attacks have taken place since the surgical strikes were carried out. 41 soldiers have been killed... it’s an issue of concern,” Sharma said.

He criticised the central government for having “no plans” to stop repeated attacks by Pakistan on Indian interests.