My property is ancestral, ED engaged in false propaganda against me: Virbhadra | india-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 18, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

My property is ancestral, ED engaged in false propaganda against me: Virbhadra

india Updated: Oct 04, 2016 00:53 IST
Gaurav Bisht
Gaurav Bisht
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

HP chief minister Virbhadra Singh with his wife Pratibha Singh and son Vikramaditya during a rally in Mandi.(PTI file photo)

Himachal Pradesh chief minister Virbhadra Singh on Monday blamed enforcement directorate - investigating  cases of disproportionate assets against him -- for running a slander to malign his image at  the behest of Bharatiya Janata Party leaders.

"For long, I have been noticing that news against me begins to appear, my cases are listed for hearing  before my case comes up for hearing. Enforcement directorate  is engaged in a false propaganda against me ," Singh said in Shimla.

"If it is not a slander  against me then why doesn't   enforcement directorate highlight facts, or issues a written  statement to all the newspapers in New Delhi - its national hub?

“Whatever the property I have is ancestral. They (ED) cannot touch it," the CM added.

The ED will soon take possession of assets worth Rs 8 crore of CM Virbhadra Singh and his wife Pratibha after a special anti-money laundering court in Shimla confirmed the agency's provisional order in this regard.

“Whatever I have inherited ancestrally, I am  maintaining it. These properties were given to me by the government  during the mergers of the state with  Indian Union," he said, adding that he is “retaining the properties whatever limit is prescribed to me by the government.”

The agency had recently also questioned Virbhadra's son Vikramaditya in this case.

The CM has denied allegations of any wrongdoing by him or his family. An attachment order under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) is aimed at depriving the accused from obtaining benefits of their alleged ill-gotten wealth and such an order issued by the ED can be appealed before the adjudicating authority of the said Act within 180 days.