Advertisement

HindustanTimes Wed,22 Oct 2014

Delhi: Another accused in Lajpat Nagar heist held

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, February 03, 2014
First Published: 11:34 IST(3/2/2014) | Last Updated: 08:38 IST(4/2/2014)

The Delhi police have arrested one more person in connection with the daring daylight robbery in which around Rs. 8 crore had been looted in Lajpat Nagar area on Tuesday. Four persons have been arrested so far.

Advertisement

The accused, identified as Ajay, 20, surrendered himself during early hours on Monday at the Madangir Police Station in South Delhi. He was arrested after he admitted his involvement in the robbery, said police.

Earlier on Saturday, three people were arrested from south Delhi in the case. They have been identified as Tinku, Praveen and Bhola, all residents of Chhatarpur area.

READ: Three arrested in Lajpat Nagar heist case

“Four people have so far have been arrested while further raids are being conducted to nab their four more accomplices. Recovery is being made from different parts of the national Capital. We have got some clues and hope to arrest the others soon,” a senior police officer said.

Police said that a juvenile was the mastermind behind the robbery. A 17-year-old employee of Rajesh Kalra allegedly planned the heist along with the other accused, said cops. Police said Kalra was arrested in 2000 for his links with bookies and was charged in a match-fixing case involving then South African cricket captain Hansie Cronje. The money is also believed to have links with the betting rackets.

A group of eight people robbed Rs. 8 crore in cash from businessman Kalra’s business partner, Rakesh Kumar Sharma, near Lajpat Nagar in south Delhi and took away the car in which he was going with four other employees to reportedly deposit the money in a bank in Karol Bagh.

Police on Sunday had said that the gang had earlier been involved in a robbery of Rs. 3 crore, reportedly from some bookies associated with the businessmen robbed on Tuesday.

The Rs. 3-crore robbery, a police source said, had taken place in west Delhi’s Vikaspuri some weeks ago but it never came to light because the crime was not reported to the police.

“The bookies who owned the money kept the matter under wraps as the looted money was part of alleged hawala transactions. However, when a second similar robbery took place in Lajpat Nagar in which a much bigger amount was robbed, they decided to inform the police,” said the source.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

2G: Court's no to Chandra's plea to go abroad, terms it casual

A special court has rejected a plea of Unitech Limited managing director Sanjay Chandra, facing trial in 2G spectrum allocation case, to go abroad saying it "smacks of casual attitude" as no proper documents support it.

Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved