Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,18 Sep 2014

Class eight student dies after suffering a seizure in govt school

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times   July 24, 2014
First Published: 09:00 IST(24/7/2014) | Last Updated: 09:23 IST(24/7/2014)

A class 8 student died in mysterious circumstances at a Delhi government school in Rohini on Wednesday.

Sanjay Kumar, 14, a student of Government Secondary School at Rohini Sector 15, was rushed to BR Ambedkar Hospital on Wednesday after noon after he collapsed in the school. He, however, died before he even reached there.

There is no clarity on what led to his death, with rumours ranging from an epileptic fit to abuse doing the rounds.

“He was perfectly fine when he left for school in the morning. We got a call from the school in the afternoon after lunch break. The caller said Sanjay had been taken to hospital. By the time we reached there, he was declared dead,” said Vikas Chaudhary, Sanjay’s uncle.

An NGO that works in the field of education alleged that the child died because he was beaten up, an allegation the school authorities denied.

“Sanjay suffered a seizure right after lunch break and fell down. Some teachers rushed to his help and took him to the hospital but he was declared dead. The allegation of physical abuse is concocted,” said a school official.

The hospital authorities said Sanjay was brought by school authorities but had died by the time they reached. They said it was impossible to determine the cause of death without conducting a post-mortem.

The parents and the directorate of education are awaiting the post-mortem report.

“We have been tracking the developments since afternoon and are awaiting the post-mortem report. It is too premature to talk about the cause of death. An enquiry will ascertain if someone is responsible for the death or if Sanjay died because of an existing condition,” said Delhi education director Padmini Singla.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Badaun case: Eye-witness flunks lie-detector test

In a fresh twist, the main eyewitness in the case related to the alleged rape and murder of two minor girls in Badaun in May, Nazru, has allegedly flunked the polygraph test conducted on him by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved