The government has withdrawn the security cover provided to former army chief General VK Singh, who had openly spoken out against the central government and even shared the stage with its harsh critics such as Anna Hazare and Baba Ramdev.
Singh had been given Z-plus protection for six months after he retired on May 31 this year, a security cover extended to all former army chiefs for the same duration.
Government sources said the security cover had been withdrawn according to established procedure after carrying out a review of the threat perception to him.
The sources said the removal of Singh's security cover had nothing to do with his stance against the government. His security detail included a bulletproof car and more than 30 security personnel.
He, however, continues to stay in a sprawling government bungalow in Delhi Cantt -- a privilege extended to all retired army chiefs for a year.
In January, Singh became the first serving army chief to drag the government to the Supreme Court over a dispute on his age. He eventually lost the battle. VK Singh had claimed he was born in 1951, contrary to official records that showed him a year older.
A clandestine military intelligence unit set up by Singh is also on the verge of being disbanded. The unit had faced allegations of listening in on mobile conversations of politicians and bureaucrats at a time when the age controversy was at its peak earlier this year.
A board of officers, headed by a three-star general, was tasked with probing the mandate of the unit, tasks executed by it and to scrutinise its financial records.