Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,21 Dec 2014

Govt gets flak for fake terror charges on Muslims

Aloke Tikku, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, February 27, 2013
First Published: 01:12 IST(27/2/2013) | Last Updated: 09:36 IST(27/2/2013)

As investigators continue their search for clues into the recent Hyderabad blasts, the home ministry on Tuesday came under fire from MPs in Lok Sabha complaining how flawed terror probes in the past had led to innocent Muslims spending years behind bars.

Advertisement

The home ministry - that has been pushing for a centrally-driven National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) on grounds that countering terrorism was a "shared responsibility" - initially tried to duck the question.

"No such data is centrally maintained as law and order and prisons are state subjects," RPN Singh, minister of state for home affairs told CPM's Basudeb Acharia in Lok Sabha.

Singh, however, pointed out that 9 people had been released on bail in the 2006 Malegaon bomb blasts after the NIA took over the probe. The 9 had been charged for the killing of 37 people in four blasts.

By then, they had already spent nearly 6 years in jail.

As member after member stood up to echo similar concerns, Singh insisted that the law did not "discriminate on basis of colour or religion" but conceded that it was "unfortunate".

The home ministry, however, insisted that there were provisions in law to seek redressal for such cases from the appropriate courts.

Absolved of terror charge, scribe hits out
A day after being released from jail, Bangalore journalist Muthi Ur Rehman Siddiqui, who was arrested on vague charges of 'waging war against the nation', hit out against the investigation agencies and media.

Speaking at a press conference, Siddiqui, who spent six months in jail said, "The way we were arrested and the way we were treated shows there is a need for sensitising the investigating agencies towards minorities".

Siddiqui, 26, who was working with an English Daily, also hit out against the media for failing to report accurately.

"In this case, even media forgot the ABC (accuracy, brevity and clarity) of journalism."


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Delhi: Schools on alert after Peshawar

The terror attack that killed over 130 students in Pakistan’s Peshawar has jolted city schools into taking all possible measures to tighten security in and around their campus. Many schools reported a drop in attendance after the attack.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved