Advertisement

HindustanTimes Mon,20 Oct 2014

Kudankulam: Fishermen lay siege to Tuticorin port

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Kudankulam/Chennai, September 22, 2012
First Published: 09:19 IST(22/9/2012) | Last Updated: 01:06 IST(23/9/2012)

Stepping up their protest against the Kudankulam nuclear power plant, thousands of fishermen laid siege to the Tuticorin port - located 100 km from the nuclear plant - on Saturday.

Nearly 600 fishing boats assembled from the coastal districts of Kanyakumari, Tirunelveli and Ramanthapuram and blocked the shipping channel.

The blockade, which began in the morning, continued till 2 pm despite the pleas of Union shipping minister GK Vasan.

The protest disrupted port activities for over two hours.

Police chase demonstrators during a protest near a nuclear power project in Kudankulam, Tamil Nadu. Reuters/Stringer

P Udayakumar, convener of the People's Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE), against whom non-bailable warrants have been issued by a local court, surfaced at a nearby fishing hamlet and led thousands of villagers into waist-deep sea waters to stage a jal satyagraha.

Besides, in coastal areas of southern Tamil Nadu, protesters formed human chains.

The agitation has been stepped up after the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board gave its final clearance to load enriched uranium fuel rods in the first reactor of the plant.

"How can they remain silent spectators despite mounting protests the government is going ahead with fuelling? It is nothing but murder of democracy," said Udayakumar.

A demonstrator shouts slogans near a nuclear power project during a protest in Kudankulam, Tamil Nadu. Reuters/Stringer

The coordination committee, he said, would meet on September 27 to announce fresh modes of agitation.

The plant had run into a series of protests in the wake of the last year's Fukushima nuclear disaster in Japan.

The year-long peaceful agitation had turned violent two weeks ago, when police firing claimed a life. Though arrest warrants have been issued against most of the PMANE leaders, they are yet to surrender.



Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Delhi Metro may come to ITO a year early; safety trials kick off in December

Delhi Metro is set to beat its deadline for extending the Central Secretariat-Mandi House line to ITO by a year, a move that will bring relief to thousands of commuters who battle daily gridlocks on one of the city’s busiest stretches.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved