Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,19 Sep 2014

LoC peaceful after DGMOs talk: Antony to Cabinet

PTI  New Delhi, January 17, 2013
First Published: 18:58 IST(17/1/2013) | Last Updated: 19:00 IST(17/1/2013)

The Line of Control is peaceful since the top military commanders of India and Pakistan agreed on Wednesday to de-escalate the tension triggered by last week's brutal killing of two Indian soldiers.

Advertisement

The LoC in Jammu and Kashmir, the scene of repeated ceasefire violations, has been quiet and the tension has eased since the telephonic talk between Directors General of Military Operations (DGMOs), army sources said.

The issue of Indo-Pak tension came up on Thursday in the Union Cabinet meeting which was briefed by defence minister AK Antony and external affairs minister Salman Khurshid on the situation arising out of the January 8 incident in which two Indian jawans were killed, one of them beheaded by Pakistani troops.

Antony told the meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, that tensions have eased on the LoC since the 10-minute talk between the DGMOs on Wednesday, sources said.

He told the meeting that the ceasefire has been holding since on Wednesday and there has been de-escalation of tension, the sources added.

The Indian DGMO Lt Gen Vinod Bhatia and his Pakistan counterpart Maj Gen Ashfaq Nadeem had on Wednesday agreed not to allow escalation of tensions along the LoC.

Pakistan's DGMO conveyed that orders have been passed to the troops to strictly observe the ceasefire and exercise restraint, according to Indian army spokesman.

Khurshid told the meeting that Pakistan has indicated readiness for bilateral talks instead of its earlier suggestion for a UN probe into the incident, the sources said.

He is understood to have referred to statements made by Pakistan foreign minister Hina Rabbani Khar to this effect and said a view on the matter can be taken after receiving communication through the formal diplomatic channels.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Tihar official arrested for murder bid on son’s wife

 A 50-year-old deputy superintendent of Tihar Jail and his son were arrested for allegedly trying to burn alive the latter’s wife for not fulfilling their dowry demands.

Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved