The long wait for nursery admissions for a section of parents has finally come to an end but the new session is undoubtedly delayed.
After the court asked schools to admit those children whose names have already appeared in the draw of lots, 37,593 children will be able to take admission in schools where their names have appeared.
This figure may have a few duplications as some children have been selected in more than one school. The decision brings great relief to a large number of parents.
“I am beyond relieved today. My daughter will finally be able to go to school,” said Simran Dhillon, a parent who lives in Malviya Nagar whose daughter’s name had appeared in the first list at a prominent south Delhi school.
The uncertainty, however, continues for those whose children’s names did not appear in the draws already conducted.
“I wish the court had come out with a verdict for all parents once and for all. A large number of parents are still clueless about what will happen to them and this uncertainty will remain till April 16, the next hearing date,” said Kanika Sood, a parent whose son’s name has not been declared in any list so far.
The Directorate of Education is expected to come out with a notification by Friday asking schools to start admitting children.
The directorate also uploaded the data collected from schools on the total number of seats as well as the number of seats that will be filled as per the draws already conducted.
The court had asked the directorate to upload the information by Wednesday but it was done on Thursday morning, the day of the hearing. A number of parents have accused them of hiding the information to favour schools, though the directorate said the documents could not be uploaded because of a technical glitch.