Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,28 Dec 2014

PM knew about every 2G decision: Raja to JPC

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, April 22, 2013
First Published: 22:16 IST(22/4/2013) | Last Updated: 11:51 IST(23/4/2013)

Former telecom minister and DMK leader A Raja has asserted that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was fully aware of the policies he followed while allotting mobile network licences and 2G airwaves in 2008.

Advertisement

In a 106-page note to the joint parliamentary committee probing the 2G spectrum allocation, Raja wrote: “I took no unilateral decisions. Every major decision of mine was taken after consultation first with the DoT (department of telecommunications) officers and thereafter with the PM, FM and EAM (then external affairs minister Pranab Mukherjee). All issues including entry fee, non-auction of spectrum, FCFS (first come, first served policy), processing of applications till 25.09.2007, etc, were personally discussed by me with the Hon’ble PM and the DoT proceeded only thereafter.”

He presented his reappointment as telecom minister when the UPA returned to power in 2009 as proof of his innocence. “Surely, if he (Singh) felt that I had misled him or offended him, my reappointment would not have happened,” he wrote.http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/Popup/2013/4/23_04_pg1c.jpg

He sent the blow-by-blow note in response to a leaked JPC draft report that accused him of masterminding one of India’s biggest scams and misleading the PM.

Raja, who had to quit in November 2010 after a report of the comptroller and auditor general held him guilty of causing a loss of Rs. 1.76 lakh crore to the exchequer, said if the JPC wanted to “draw any conclusions... it is mandatory to record both my statement and the statement of the Hon’ble PM”.

He added: “If the Hon’ble PM says in Parliament that there has been no loss to the exchequer, how can the government stand by and watch silently while the CBI prosecutes me for allegedly causing loss to the exchequer? It is truly unbelievable and this attitude of the government can perhaps only be explained as an exercise in blame-shifting or acting on political considerations.”


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Delhi: Banned Uber seeks support through petition

Cab service provider Uber launched an online petition Friday, requesting people to support the return of its services that were banned in the Capital after a driver allegedly raped a 25-year-old executive in his cab earlier this month.

Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved