Advertisement

HindustanTimes Wed,22 Oct 2014

Top cops decry shoddy planning

Manish Tiwari, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, April 07, 2010
First Published: 00:18 IST(7/4/2010) | Last Updated: 00:19 IST(7/4/2010)

The killing of the CRPF personnel by Maoists in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh on Tuesday found former police officers K.P.S. Gill and Prakash Singh highly critical of the central government’s handling of the Maoist menace.

Advertisement

Former Punjab Director-General of Police K.P.S. Gill said the government’s  anti-Maoist offensive was “faulty” because it had been planned by “armchair panels”.

“This (the plan) is totally at variance with the capabilities of the force and the demands of the situation,” Gill, a former security adviser to the Chhattisgarh government, told HT on the phone. “There is no clarity of  thought behind it.”

Asked what was specifically wrong with the plan, he said: “Everything is wrong — the deployment is wrong, the overall concept is wrong. It’s a vaguely worked-out plan and the execution is defective too.”

Expressing disappointment over the killing of the CRPF men, Gill said he saw no point in sending forces inside thick jungles for a four-day patrol when they did not know what they were looking for. “According to this concept, the Naxalites must be hiding behind the trees. Is that so?”

Gill said there was a need to have clarity on what the forces wanted to achieve. “And if you can’t it do yourself, at least consult some people A mission must have an objective,” he said.

Former BSF Director General Prakash Singh said both the Centre and the states were to blame (for the Maoist attack). “Why should they (the  forces) be sitting ducks like this?” he asked. “Why should you walk into their traps? The incident puts a question mark on the operational capabilities of the CRPF.”

CRPF IG (Operations) P.M. Nair, who rushed to Chhattisgarh after the attack, said: “We’ve already deployed more forces to hunt down the Naxals.

This is the same area where we lost 10 CRPF personnel last April. Since  then we had inflicted heavy damage on them.” This time, however, something  seemed to have gone “terribly wrong”, he said, echoing Union Home Minister  P. Chidambaram’s line on the attack. “Leakage” of information on the security forces’ movements could not be  ruled out, a CRPF officer said. “Both the security forces and the  Naxals were planning to trap each other. They (the Maoists) succeeded,” he said.

“You need to deploy more troops and be aggressive if you want to win the battle,” said a senior government official involved in planning of the special operations.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

2G: Court's no to Chandra's plea to go abroad, terms it casual

A special court has rejected a plea of Unitech Limited managing director Sanjay Chandra, facing trial in 2G spectrum allocation case, to go abroad saying it "smacks of casual attitude" as no proper documents support it.

Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved