NIA chief’s remark denying Pak govt’s hand in Pathankot attack sparks row | india-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 24, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

NIA chief’s remark denying Pak govt’s hand in Pathankot attack sparks row

NIA chief Sharad Kumar’s remark that so far there is no hand of Pakistan government or its agency in helping Jaish-e-Mohammed carry out the Pathankot attack has triggered a sparring between India and Pakistan with New Delhi saying that involvement of its nationals “is an accepted fact”.

india Updated: Jun 03, 2016 19:39 IST
PTI
NIA chief said there was  no evidence to show that Pakistan government or its agency helped JeM in carrying out the Pathankot attack.
NIA chief said there was no evidence to show that Pakistan government or its agency helped JeM in carrying out the Pathankot attack.(Sameer Sehgal/Hindustan Times)

NIA chief Sharad Kumar’s remark that so far there is no hand of Pakistan government or its agency in helping Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) carry out the Pathankot attack has triggered a sparring between India and Pakistan with New Delhi saying that the involvement of Pakistan’s nationals “is an accepted fact”.

Even as the NIA backtracked on Kumar’s statement, Islamabad touted his remarks to claim “vindication” of its long standing position in this regard.

The row started over a written interview given by Kumar to a television channel in which he had said,“No. So far, no evidence to show that Pakistan government or Pakistani government agency was helping Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) or Masood Azhar or his aides carry out Pathankot attack.”

Later the NIA issued a statement saying the observation attributed to DG NIA in regard to Pathankot investigations “are strongly refuted.” It said his statement has been misquoted.

The External Affairs Minister today said the DG NIA has already issued a clarification and it put out the government’s position that “the involvement of Pakistan’s nationals in the Pathankot Air Base attack is an accepted fact.

“I would remind you that investigations are ongoing. Foreign Secretary had conveyed to his Pakistani counterpart when they met in New Delhi in April that it was time for review of progress in investigation in the attack after return of Pakistan’s Joint Investigation Team (JIT), which had gathered all evidence that it had wanted when it visited India,” External Affairs spokesperson said in a statement.

He said enough information has also been provided to Pakistani authorities through two Letters Rogatory to conduct investigation in Pakistan so that all those associated in Pakistan with planning, support and execution of the attack are brought to justice.

“At this stage, we await further response and information from Pakistan. It would be injudicious to speculate in this situation,” he said.

At the Congress briefing, party’s chief spokesperson Randeep Surjewala made a scathing attack on the government accusing it of weakening India’s fight against terrorism nationally and internationally with the NIA director giving “clean chit” to Pakistan and its agencies.