The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Tuesday filed a charge-sheet before a special court against 16 suspected Islamic State (IS) operatives, arrested from across the country allegedly on the charges of recruiting and financing people to join the terror group.
Sources said the agency filed the charge-sheet before district judge Amar Nath in which it outlined the role of all the accused in a larger conspiracy of the IS to further its ideology.
The agency claimed members of the banned terror group, in connivance with a few resident and non-resident Indians, have been indulging in identification, radicalisation, recruitment and training, a source said.
The final report also alleged that some Indian youths were sent by the accused to countries such as Syria, Lybia and Iraq to carry out terror acts.
It also claimed the accused, who are currently in judicial custody, were using different internet channels and services, telephone and one-on-one meetings to further the outfit’s ideology.
The accused persons against whom the agency filed the charge-sheet include Mohd Aleem, Mohd Obaidullah Khan, Nafees Khan, Mohd Shareef Moinuddin Khan, Asif Ali, Najmul Huda, Mudabbir Mushtaq Shaikh, Mohd Abdul Ahad, Suhail Ahmed, Syed Mujahid, Mohd Hussain Khan, Mohd Afzal, Imran and Abu Anas.
They were arrested under various sections of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and the Indian Penal Code (IPC). A case was registered by the NIA on December 9 last year against unknown and unidentified persons involved in the activities of IS in India and other Asian countries.
The NIA had earlier filed a charge-sheet against 23-year-old Naser Packeer, outlining his modus operandi in identifying, radicalising, recruiting and sending Indians to join the terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
On October 5, 2015, Packeer was apprehended in Sudan for concealing his identity and trying to join the IS in Syria. He was deported to India on December 10, 2015.
The agency has claimed that several incriminating documents and articles, including a laptop, mobile phones, pen drives and DVDs have been recovered from the accused. An FIR in the matter was filed on December 9 last year on inputs received from the ministry of home affairs.