No difference of opinion with Lt Governor Kiran Bedi: Puducherry CM | india-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

No difference of opinion with Lt Governor Kiran Bedi: Puducherry CM

india Updated: Aug 06, 2016 14:08 IST
Puducherry CM

Puducherry chief minister V Narayanasamy in New Delhi.(PTI File Photo)

Puducherry chief minister V Narayanasamy said on Saturday that there was no difference of opinion between his ministry and Lt Governor Kiran Bedi.

“There is no clash between the Lt Governor and the ministry,” he said.

He said the L-G and the ministry were functioning within the powers demarcated for them in the Constitution and there was no room for any difference of opinion.

Addressing reporters here, the chief minister said there was a vast difference in the constitutional provisions governing the administration of the National Capital Territory of Delhi and the Union Territory of Puducherry.

“We have separate provision in the Constitution relating to Puducherry and the rules framed under the Union Territories Act 1963 were also different and hence one should not contend that both Delhi and Puducherry Union Territories were on equal footing,” he said.

Replying to a question whether conferment of statehood for Puducherry would clear the scenario as far as powers for elected ministry were concerned, he said his government and Congress insisted that Puducherry should be granted special category status.

Special category status would ensure that the Centre provided 90% of Puducherry’s budgetary requirements are by way of grants while the remaining 10% could be mobilised by the state government.

Asked about his reported warning to government employees that they would be dismissed if they come late, he said he has never made any critical comments against government staff although his intention was that the employees should be punctual in turning up at their workplace.

“I have great regard for government staff and a section of the media have come out with misleading reports intending to cause a wedge between me and the government employees,” he said.

Narayanasamy said he had already requested the Union finance minister to ensure that none of the provisions of the GST bill hit the economy and revenue base of Puducherry.