HindustanTimes Tue,21 Oct 2014

Sparks in metro coach lead to panic, delay in service on Gurgaon line

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, April 11, 2014
First Published: 14:30 IST(11/4/2014) | Last Updated: 01:19 IST(12/4/2014)

Metro service on the Jahangirpuri-Gurgaon line were disrupted for half-an-hour on Friday after sparks in a metro coach led to passengers pushing the emergency button and stopping the train.


The passengers deboarded the Metro on Line-2 at 1:04pm which plies from Jahangirpuri to HUDA City Centre.

The incident happened between Arjangarh and Ghitorni metro stations when commuters noticed smoke inside the coach. They raised an alarm and the train was stopped at the Ghitorni station for passengers to evacuate. About 700 passengers were travelling by the train, said officials.

Even though the initial alarm was about a fire, the DMRC termed it as "sparking". 

Five fire tenders were rushed to the spot. According to officials of the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), the situation was brought under control before they arrived. They said it was a minor fire generated at the 'panel box' installed in the coach between the driver's cabin and the passengers' section.

"After taking it out of service, we immediately sent the train to the nearby Sultanpur depot to ascertain the reason of the spark at the panel box," a DMRC spokesperson said. He said such incidents had never happened before in a moving train.

"The whole process of evacuating the train and taking it out of service took some time, which led to service disruption on the line between 1.04pm and 1.35pm. As a precaution and safety measure, train movement was immediately stopped in this section. Two train trips got cancelled as the trains were running at a low lean-hour frequency on the line," a DMRC official added.

The incident, however, affected the metro operations in the line through the entire day. Even during evening peak hours many people had to wait at stations for trains towards Jahangirpuri for more than half an hour as metros were running at a very low frequency.

"I had to wait for half an hour to catch a train while trains on the parallel lime were arriving every two minutes," said Parul, a government employee.

Even the trains which finally arrived were jam-packed. "I had to get down at Central Secretariat but I was not allowed to get down by the wave of people who stormed into the coach," said a passenger.

more from India

Khaitan denied bail, to spend Diwali in jail

Businessman-cum-lawyer Gautam Khaitan is likely to spend this Diwali in jail, where he’s been lodged since his arrest by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) 28 days ago in the Rs 3,600 AgustaWestland scam, as a Delhi court Monday denied his bail application.

Most Popular
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved