With the sword of demolition of their "dream homes" hanging on their heads, around 627 home buyers of two 40-storied residential towers in Noida on Sunday stated they will challenge the high court order in the Supreme Court. They said they wanted their flats back instead of the booking amounts.
Residents who had brought flats in Emerald Court said the HC did not hear their side of the story. (HT Photo)
The Allahabad High Court on Friday had ordered the demolition of the two towers in Noida’s Sector 93A — which formed a part of a residential project named Emerald Court — for violation of norms by its builder Supertech , a real estate firm.
The two towers have 857 apartments of which 627 had been booked.
On Sunday, the home buyers held a meeting at the ground floor of one of the two towers and decided to form a forum — Apex and Ceyane Residents’ Welfare Association — to continue their fight for justice.
A group of home buyers had earlier (on Saturday) staged a protest outside the realtor’s Sector 57 office during which they had claimed that no representative of the real estate firm came to meet them.
The home buyers have also claimed that the realtor or other concerned authorities had failed to inform them of the court’s decision and they had learnt about the case only from newspapers.
“The court did not think about the rights of buyers while delivering its order. We were not informed by the realtor and the authority so that we could have put forth our side of the story. The decision affects us and we were not even given a hearing. We will not accept our money back as we are not into the business of lending. We are middleclass people, who had invested their hard-earned money to purchase a dream home,” said Dharmendra Singh, one of the buyers, who had booked a flat on ninth floor.
“We have consulted our lawyers. We will ask the court why it did not stop the construction of these two towers when the case was on trial. We will request the court to penalise us but regularise the building as the government does with many unauthorised buildings,” added Jamal Anwar, 50, an engineer and another buyer.
Many buyers also found the court decision wrong. “It is quite strange that we are the only ones who will suffer despite committing no wrong. The realtor has invested a small part of our money into these buildings by now. We have already paid 95% of the flat cost. Then why is this injustice being meted out to us,” wondered Vivek Sharma another buyer.
When contacted, a spokesperson of the Supertech group said, “We will put forth our case very strongly before the apex court so that the interests of our buyers can be protected.