Not satisfied with Salman Khan’s reply over his ‘raped woman’ comment, the National Commission of Women (NCW) on Thursday again summoned the Bollywood actor to be present in the office on July 8.
“The letter is not at all conciliatory, there’s not even a hint of an apology. In fact, he tried to find fault with the NCW for taking up the issue. He, more or less, said that it’s not up to us to take cognizance of this issue. His lawyer has also said that if I heard the whole tape, I would have seen that immediately after he made this statement, he said “oops, I shouldn’t have said it,” NCW chief Lalitha Kumaramangalam told ANI.
Kumaramangalam stated that given the fact that everybody says that Salman Khan respects women, he would understand what damage he has done to the feelings of not only rape victims, but also to the women, who feel let down by his statement.
“We have called him here to the Commission on 8th of July, we are not satisfied with his reply,” she added.
Kumaramangalam yesterday expressed her disappointment over Salman sending his reply through his lawyer instead of tendering an apology.
The 50-year-old actor was ordered to appear before the Women’s Commission in Mumbai yesterday.
The drama began when Salman made the comments during an interview with entertainment website spotboye.com to promote his upcoming movie ‘Sultan’ that tells the story of an ageing wrestler trying to make a comeback.
“When I used to walk out of the ring, after the shoot, I used to feel like a raped woman. I couldn’t walk straight,” the ‘Dabangg’ actor said earlier on June 21.
However, Salman’s father Salim Khan and brother Arbaaz Khan had earlier come out in his defence and said that the intention behind the ‘rape’ remark was not wrong.
Many women activists have also demanded an apology from the Bollywood star and saying that he should think before he speaks as the people look up to him for the so called good deeds he does on screen.