A high score in a government recruitment examination could soon help a candidate get a job in the private sector too.
The Centre decided on Tuesday to go online with marks and ranks of people taking its recruitment tests, a move that could not only make it easier for candidates to get jobs in the private sector but also check malpractices.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had put an end to the practice of holding interviews for junior-level posts soon after coming to power in 2014. But this still left scope for malpractices in written examination.
The department of personnel and training (DoPT) said the National Informatics Centre had been told to develop a website, called Integrated Information System for Public Recruitment Agencies, which will be linked to web pages of individual recruitment agencies.
“The home page (of these agencies) will display details of recruitment examinations undertaken by them in the past one year and the date of announcement of the final results,” the DoPT order said. Users will be able to access details of a candidate’s performance along with their ranks.
Job applicants would have the right to opt out of this database when they apply for the job.
Prime Minister Modi had mooted the idea in March and asked NITI Aayog to get a formal approval from DoPT, which should work out the details.
Tuesday’s directive indicated NITI Aayog would continue to play a lead role in the initiative and pursue with ministries and organisations such as the Union Public Service Commission, Staff Selection Commission and railway recruitment boards.
In a way, the model is similar to the combined entrance examination for engineering colleges in which private institutes too use scores obtained by students to select candidates.