Omar Abdullah now blames Sharif for LoC firing

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Jammu
  • |
  • Updated: Oct 26, 2013 02:42 IST

Two days after retracting his hard stand on ceasefire violations by Pakistan and suggesting that New Delhi should explore “other options”, J&K chief minister Omar Abdullah did a U-turn again on Friday.

While visiting the border villages of RS Pura that have been hit heavily by firing from across the border, Abdullah lashed out at Pakistan prime minister Nawaz Sharif’s recent reference to dialogues.

“Ceasefire violations cannot happen without the consent Pakistan prime minister Nawaz Sharif. Then what is the use of the Pak premier calling for friendship?” Abdullah said.

The ceasefire agreement between India and Pakistan, signed in 2003, was the best gift for the people living on International Border and LoC, Abdullah said. But over the last year, around 200 incidents of ceasefire violation — the highest in eight years — took place in Jammu division alone. Abdullah’s comments came as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, too, expressed disappointment with Sharief. Pakistan, on the other hand, complained that progress has not been made on ending ceasefire violations and its army alleged fresh firing from India in Sialkot sector.

With overnight firing along 17 outposts injuring three persons, the Centre has asked the BSF to retaliate in equal measure. Altogether, 11 civilians have been injured in the area so far.

 

also read

Heritage razed: Twitteratis show what the Nepal quake did to these histo...

blog comments powered by Disqus