One person dead in a firing incident in Kashmir

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Kashmir
  • |
  • Updated: Feb 11, 2013 13:59 IST

Inspite of promises of utmost restraint from the chief minister Omar Abdullah, Kashmir has witnessed dead of a minor in a firing incident in a village in North Kashmir.

One person, Ubaid Mushtaq (16) was seriously injured when protests broke out in Watergam area near Sopore on Sunday despite a strict curfew to prevent violence after the execution of Afzal Guru who was convicted for 2001 attack on Parliament.

Mushtaq was operated in the hospital last night and died around 3 am on Monday. According to hospital sources Mushtaq died of fire arm injuries in the abdomen. Another person Sajad Ahmad Bhat has also been admitted in the states tertiary care hospital SKIMS with serious injuries and is said to be critical and on life support.

Scores of people defied the curfew and clashed with security personnels who fired tear gas shells to disperse the crowds in atleast two places in Sopore, which is the home town of Guru. Mushtaq died in an incident which happened at around 6.40 pm in sunday evening when police mobbed a security forces vehicle, who inturn restorted to firing.

In another incident eyewitnesses said a man died in Sumbal village in northern Kashmir after he jumped into a frigid river after a chase from police to disperse the mob. Police however said the youth Tariq Ahmad Bhat died after a boat he was in capsized.

In an earlier press note last night had claimed that five persons were injured. "While tackling a law and order situation at Watergam in the jurisdiction of Police station Dangiwacha".

"Five persons Ubaid Ahmad Rather son of Mushtaq Ahmad, Sajad Ahmad Bhat son of Zahoor Ahmad , Mehraj-u-Din Bhat son of Ghulam Ahmad Bhat, Rayees Ahmad Sheikh son of Bashir Ahmad and Ather son of Ghulam Mohammad residents of Watergam received injuries while tackling a law and order situation at Watergam.

Among the injured Ubaid and Sajad have been referred to SKIMS, Soura while the other three are being treated at the local hospital, however, Ather was discharged after being given first aid,'' the police statement said on .

Meanwhile reports of defying restrictions and clashes with police are coming from all many parts in Srinagar.


also read

Maharashtra, Punjab top producers of green energy from farm waste

blog comments powered by Disqus