Daal, aloo, tamatar: Rahul Gandhi takes on Modi govt over price rise
Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi is expected to speak on rising food prices in the Lok Sabha on Thursday, one of the issues the Opposition party is looking to corner the government on.india Updated: Jul 28, 2016 15:35 IST
Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi spoke on the rising food prices in the Lok Sabha. This is one of the issues the Opposition is looking to corner the government on.
His party suffered a setback after the Centre and the states agreed to keep the cap on the GST rate out of the constitution (amendment) bill.
The principal opposition party has been holding up the crucial tax reform in the Rajya Sabha by demanding the rate be capped at 18% in the amendment bill and scrapping of an additional 1% tax designed to compensate manufacturing states that fear losing out on revenue.
Here are the top quotes from his speech:
- I want to remind PM Modi about a promise he made to every Indian, and now has forgotten
- PM Narendra Modi said price rise is India’s biggest concern
- Modi govt celebrates its 2nd birthday, but doesn’t talk about the rise in prices of daal, aloo, tamatar
- Narendra Modi can make false claims on Startup India and Make in India but not on rising prices
- There is a difference of Rs 130 in MSP and market price of Toor Dal now. Where are these Rs 100 going?
- During our tenure the difference between the MSP and market price was only Rs 30
- Modi has not employed even one person under Make in India
- Modi should give one date to this House, when prices of potatoes, pulses will reduce