Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,27 Nov 2014

Patna serial blasts mastermind will soon be caught: Union home secy

Avinash Kumar, Hindustan Times  Patna, October 29, 2013
First Published: 20:38 IST(29/10/2013) | Last Updated: 01:42 IST(30/10/2013)

Union home secretary Anil Goswami on Tuesday said the mastermind behind Sunday's serial bomb blasts that occurred before BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi’s rally in Patna would soon be caught.

“The investigation is progressing in the right direction. The National Investigation Agency (NIA) team reached Patna within two hours of the blasts and is working along with the state police,” said Goswami, after reviewing the progress of investigations with senior Bihar officials in Patna.

“The first arrest was made immediately after the first blast. We should soon be able to isolate the kingpin.”

At least five people died and more than 90 were injured in the six serial blasts near Gandhi Maidan, the venue of the BJP’s Hunkar (battle cry) rally on Sunday.

Goswami was accompanied by NIA director general Sharad Kumar.

The ministry of home affairs (MHA) team held one round of meetings at the Jaya Prakash Narayan International Airport, where home secretary Amir Subhani and director general of police Abhayanand were also present.

Later, Goswami held a 45-minute meeting at the state secretariat with chief secretary AK Sinha and other officials.

Goswami said the main issue discussed in the meeting was the law and order situation in the state. He did not reply when asked by reporters whether there had been an Intelligence Bureau alert regarding Narendra Modi.

Goswami also inspected the washroom on platform number 10 at Patna junction, where the first blast had taken place.

He then visited Gandhi Maidan, where the other six bombs had later exploded.

He also met the blast victims at Patna Medical College and Hospital.

“The state government is paying for the treatment of those injured in the blasts,” Goswami said.

He assured all help to the state government.

“The Centre will provide whatever the state government needs to strengthen its security network as well as law and order. The Centre has already provided funds for modernisation of the Bihar police,” he said.

Goswami said the state government had issued the order to form an anti-terrorism squad (ATS), which was announced on July 9, two days after the serial blasts inside the Mahabodhi temple complex at Bodh Gaya.

“They now have to complete the selection of personnel and their training. If the state government requires any help on that front, it can discuss it with the Centre,” he said.

The Union home secretary said the National Security Guard (NSG) had also visited the site of the blasts and collected evidence.


Advertisement
more from India

Women’s safety can’t be at the cost of their freedom: CJI

Expressing serious concern over growing trend of sexual violence against women, Chief Justice of India HL Dattu on Wednesday said safety can’t be at the cost of their liberty.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved