Four people, including three sanitation workers, were found dead inside a manhole in an IT hub of Hyderabad on Sunday. Civic officials suspect that toxic gases caused their death.
An employee of 108 Ambulance service, who tried to rescue them in Ayyappa society in upscale Madhapur area, fell ill after inhaling the poisonous gas, said police inspector R Kalinga Rao.
“The workers were cleaning the manhole. As three of them did not come out after entering, a local resident named Srinivas also climbed down to rescue them but he too did not come out,” the official said.
All four were found dead inside the manhole and their bodies were sent for post-mortem, Rao added.
A Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation official said the four people might have died due to inhaling poisonous gases. Deputy mayor Fasiuddin and civic body officials rushed to the spot.
The 108 employee was rushed to hospital, Kalinga Rao said, adding police have yet to register a case in this regard.
Some workers alleged that the contractor used the services of unskilled labourers, IANS reported. They said no precautions were taken, resulting in the loss of four lives.