Former chief of army staff Gen VK Singh on Friday alleged that certain “unsocial elements” in the establishment had jeopardised his personal security by publicising withdrawal of his Z-plus security cover.
“During my years of army service, I had stopped several companies and individuals who tried to sell arms, ammunition and other supplies to the Indian army by using undue influence. By making my post-retirement security status public, the authorities have made me vulnerable to their threat targets,” Singh told Hindustan Times here on Friday.
He had reached the city on Friday afternoon to take part in the ongoing Jantantra Morcha started by social activist Anna Hazare.
Singh said it was the prerogative of the intelligence bureau (IB) to assess the security threat to the individuals but the entire issue was handled by the agencies with an unfair agenda against him.
He avoided naming anyone behind the "ill-design" to harm him.
“Leaking it (security withdrawal decision) to the media in a calculated way was totally unjustified. All those who had grouse against me during my impeccable years of service in the army today know that I am without guards and may harm me,” Singh said.
The former army chief, who had been at loggerheads with the central government for over a year following controversy related to his age, said the government agencies also tried to plant snooping bugs at his residence.
On being questioned on his date of birth, Singh said he did not accept the final outcome as a setback but “it showed how a rotten system worked here (in India)”.
“I was not at fault (on the date of birth issue) as certain elements created unnecessary situation against me. The courts consider date of birth (in case of juvenile accused) before pronouncing order even in the harsh cases of rape or murder, but the same official document of a serving army chief was not considered valid,” Singh added.