Bollywood actor Salman Khan defied summons issued to him by the National Commission for Women (NCW) to appear before it on Friday over his controversial ‘rape’ remark.
NCW said it received a legal response from Khan’s team and is examining it to decide the future course of action.
“It may be noted that today, i.e. 08.07.2016, Mr Khan or his legal team has not appeared before the Commission. However, the Commission has received a response from his legal team, which is currently being examined by the Commission,” a statement issued by NCW said.
Taking suo-moto cognizance of Khan’s remark last month that the gruelling workout for his new movie ‘Sultan’ left him feeling like a “raped woman”, the NCW had written to the actor to issue a public apology.
But not satisfied with his reply, the women panel later summoned him to appear before it on July 8.
The commission, in its summon to the Bollywood star on June 30 had said, “….The explanation offered by you after making such an irresponsible and callous statement, that …‘I don’t think I should have said that…’ does not amount to apology. Your reply is, therefore, not satisfactory. The statement is highly derogatory not only about victims of sexual assault but is derogatory and defamatory of women as a whole.”
Lalita Kumaramanagalam, NCW chairperson had told HT that if Khan does not respond to the summon, the commission will take appropriate action as it deems fit.
The actor had also failed to appear before the Maharashtra State Commission for Women on Thursday. The state commission has now asked the actor to appear before it on July 14.