Sasikala convicted in DA case: What this means for AIADMK leader and Tamil Nadu
The Supreme Court judgment on Tuesday dealt a huge blow to VK Sasikala’s political ambitions, ruling her out of electoral politics for at least 10 years.india Updated: Feb 14, 2017 12:48 IST
The Supreme Court judgment on Tuesday dealt a huge blow to VK Sasikala’s political ambitions, ruling her out of electoral politics for at least 10 years. The ruling which has implications for Tamil Nadu virtually ended the 61-year-old’s political career before it even took off.
Here is what the verdict in the 21-year-old corruption case means for Sasikala:
1. Sasikala found guilty in the Rs 66-crore corruption case. She cannot be the chief minister.
2. She faces four years in jail and has been asked to surrender immediately.
3. The ruling AIADMK will need to name a new legislature party leader to take over as the chief minister.
4. The guilty verdict rules Sasikala out of electoral politics for at least 10 years -- the representation of the people act bars a convicted person from contesting elections for six years after the completion of the sentence.
5. Sasikala will come under increased pressure from the faction led by caretaker chief minister O Panneerselvam who rose in revolt against her. With her sister-in-law Ilavarasi and nephew Sudhakaran also found guilty, it is curtains for the “Mannargudi mafia”.
6. Sasikala can file a review petition against the order.
Watch | SC convicts Sasikala in DA case; deck cleared for O. Panneerselvam?