Seven students of a rural government school were rushed to the Kalpana Chawla Government Medical College and Hospital here after they complained of uneasiness after taking iron supplements on Monday.
The civil surgeon Dr Vandana Bhatia said that only two students including a girl from the Government High School, Randoli vomited in the school. Others complained of nausea after consuming the iron tablets.
"These students were found normal and discharged within one-and-half hour of being taken at the hospital. These students had taken the tablets empty stomach and nothing serious was diagnosed with them," she said.
Bhatia clarified that the exercise to give iron supplements would be continued in the district.
She urged the parents and the media not to panic from stray incidents where children showed minor reaction after consuming standard health supplement.
"The students who were hospitalised today were visibly anaemic and maintaining poor health and required supplements. Media should sensitise the parents to educate children to eat meal before taking the iron tablets. There is no scientific proof of adverse health effects of iron tablets," she said.
Civil surgeon said that panicked over today's incident, the headmaster of Randoli school stopped administering tablets after 50 students took the tablets. However, the students left in the drive would be given the supplement on Tuesday.
She said that school authorities of 2-3 schools in Indri subdivision did not distribute the tablets after the students said that they had come empty stomach to the school and they will be administered tablets tomorrow.