At least six persons including three children, were charred to death, while several others sustained burn injuries, when a bus carrying baratis (marriage party) caught fire after a high-tension electricity wire fell on it in Bhind, 502 km north from Bhopal late on Friday night.
The incident occurred at Kanera Bajaria near Ater town in Bhind district. The electricity line got severed and fell on the bus. Eyewitnesses said initially there were sparks and later bus caught fire.
The passengers tried to escape, however, three children and two elders were trapped in and were charred to death. A police official said that six bodies were recovered.
"Police team is at the spot, and relief work is on", said the officer. Eyewitnesses said that an iron trunk was kept on the roof of the bus, due to which the high tension line got severed and fell on the bus. The injured were being rushed to the local primary health care centre.
The marriage had been solemnised earlier in the day. The bride and the groom had left in a separate vehicle while the baraatis were travelling in this bus.
There were around 60 persons in the bus. Rescue workers were facing difficulty because of night time and as the incident took place in a rural area, away from district headquarters.