HindustanTimes Thu,02 Oct 2014

Three drown in separate incidents; several in hospital

Kiran Sonawane and HT Correspondent , Hindustan Times  Kalyan/Thane/Mumbai, March 28, 2013
First Published: 00:33 IST(28/3/2013) | Last Updated: 00:35 IST(28/3/2013)

Three people drowned and several others were injured during Holi celebrations on Wednesday.


Sanjay Bhimdev Hulwan, 40, a resident of Chikanghar, Kalyan, had gone with his friend to Ulhas river near Wahuli village for a swim. “He could not withstand the flow and force of the water and drowned,” said  Dilip Godbole, senior inspector, Titwala police station, Kalyan.

In another incident, Pravin Ambadas Gadekar lost his balance while bathing in Ulhas river near Vasat village and drowned. His friends told the police that Gadekar did now know how to swim.

In the third incident, a 25-year-old man drowned in the Harilyali lake, Kopari, Thane.

According to the police, Mayuresh Naik, a resident of Chendani Koliwada, near Datta Mandir, and his friends went to the lake for a swim after playing Holi.

“Naik entered the water, and didn't resurface for a long time. His friends panicked and fled the spot. Locals informed the police about the incident,” said Naryan Hatkar, inspector, Kopari police station.

Meanwhile, many Holi revellers were taken to public hospitals in the city with fractures and colour-related infections and allergies.

Thirteen residents of Andheri (East) were taken to Holy Spirit Hospital and four were admitted to the ICU. Doctors at the hospital suspect colour poisoning. “They were playing holi when they seemed to have ingested some fumes of a colour spray,” said a doctor, adding that the patients are residents of Bhatkar Chawl.

Eight students from a Matunga-based college were brought to Sion Hospital with vomiting and diarrhoea after drinking bhang, “Their condition is stable now,” said Dr Randhir Singh, assistant medical officer, Sion hospital.

Doctors at JJ Hospital, Byculla, treated five patients who had severe itching of the eye because of toxic colours. “They were given treatment to reduce the burning and itching. We have been warning people to use sunglasses to avoid such injuries,” said Dr TP Lahane, dean of JJ Hospital.

Similarly, KEM Hospital's eye department treated 12 patients with eye injuries. Four others were rushed to Bahgwati Hospital, Borivli, with head injuries.

more from India

Centre notifies life-long visa for PIOs, to amend law by Dec-end

The Union home ministry notified changes to the Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) scheme late on Tuesday evening to make the PIO cards valid for the duration of the card holder’s lifetime — instead of the existing 15 days.

Most Popular
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved