The Tibetan government in-exile's task force on Sino-Tibetan negotiations concluded its 26th meeting on Saturday after reviewing the developments in Tibet and China.
The officials said clear strategies were discussed on the way forward to resume the dialogue for peaceful resolution on the Tibet issue, but refused to comment on the details.
The director of the Tibet Policy Institute and spokesperson for the task force Thubten Samphel said at a press briefing that the meeting reviewed the developments in Tibet and China and discussed the “overall grave situation in Tibet, including self-immolations.”
“While continuing repressive measures in the Tibetan areas have been counterproductive to China's desire for unity and stability, the task force also analysed substantive discourse in China on ethnic issues in general and Tibet in particular as well as some recent mixed signals,” said Samphel in an indirect reference to the reports that China has allowed the monks to display portraits of the spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, in some areas of Tibet.
Samphel said clear strategies were discussed on the way forward for the peaceful resolution of the Tibetan issue through dialogue between envoys of the spiritual leader, Dalai Lama and representatives of the new Chinese leadership. However, the meeting did not appoint new envoys.
Lodi Gyari, former special envoy of the Dalai Lama, who participated in all nine rounds of negotiations and his aide Kelsang Gyaltsen had resigned last year, citing frustration over the lack of positive response from the Chinese side.
Meanwhile, Samphel also conveyed Sikyong Lobsang Sangay's reiteration of “the Central Tibetan
Administration's firm commitment to the middle-way approach.”
The three-day meeting that began here on September 5 inducted six new members into the Task Force on the opening day. The task force was set up by the government in-exile in 1999 to assist envoys of the Dalai Lama to hold talks with the Chinese.