Tripura’s governor Tathagata Roy has triggered a controversy yet again, with recent tweets where he appeared to criticise Muslims for not condemning the recent attacks in Bangladesh.
He reminded “Bengali Hindus” about Philosopher George Santayana’s famous quote: Those who didn’t learn from history are doomed to repeat the same.
Following the deadly attack in Bangladesh last Saturday, Roy tweeted, “Notwithstanding bleats abt not spreading hate, I’m still waiting for messages denouncing terrorism fm Indian Muslim clerics & institutions.” – July 5
Prior to that, he also mentioned in his tweet that the Hindu value system in West Bengal is distorted. “West Bengal Hindu value system has become warped. Our ‘aantels’ (intellectuals) will spread total lies to conceal Islamist terror.” – July 2
Condemning the attack in Bangladesh, Roy tweeted that no Bangladeshi Islamist will be allowed in West Bengal in any condition.
“Under no circumstances should Bangladeshi Radical Islamists be allowed to find sanctuary in West Bengal.” – July 1
“We must be clear with our objective: We want Bangladeshi Hindus to live in Bangladesh with SENSE OF SECURITY.” – July 1
Commenting on the murder of a Hindu priest in Bangladesh, he tweeted, “Yet another Hindu priest murdered in Bangladesh. Process going on. To me this seems to be a concerted effort (cont)” – June 30
His another tweet is “I am trying to do this – expose hidden history-in regard to exodus of Hindus from East Pakistan / Bangladesh.”- June 26.
Roy has hogged headlines in the past. Some of his other controversial tweets are:
1. Roy congratulating Shyama Prasad Mookerjee for creating West Bengal due to which he, as Bengali Hindu can live with dignity.
“Before I go to sleep let me thank the great SPM who created West Bengal, becz of whom I as a Bengali Hindu can live with my head held high.”
2. Accusing the Pakistani Army for butchering around 10,000 Hindus during 1971Bangladesh Liberation War.
“Yes, 20 May 1971, at Chuknagar, Khulna, Bangladesh, Paki Army & Razakar butchers killed 8000-10,000 unarmed Hindus by bullets, bayonets & stampede.”
3. “Whatever gave you the notion I am secular? I am a Hindu. My state, India, however is secular since 1976.’
4. Barely 48 hours after the death of Yakub Memon, Roy tweeted many of the people who attended the 1993 Mumbai blasts convict’s last rites are ‘potential terrorists. ‘The intelligence should keep a tab on them. Intelligence shd keep a tab on all (expt relatives & close friends) who assembled before Yakub Memon’s corpse. Many are potential terrorists.’ July 31, 2015
5. ‘Overwhelming Hindu majority is ESSENTIAL to maintain a multi-religious society & secular state. But West Bengal is slipping.’ Dec 17, 2014, Kolkata, West Bengal.
6. ‘Attack by Muslims on Hindus at Ghazipur, Bangladesh. Attack by Muslims on Hindus at Mallikpur, W Bengal, India. What awaits us Bengali Hindus?’ April 23, 2015.
7. When the country debated the much-talked about ‘Love Jihad’ and forced conversions, Roy congratulated the BJP’s Uttar Pradesh unit through tweet for highlighting it. ‘Congrats UP bringing issue of Love Jihad to the fore. We in West Bengal must perhaps do the hapless gullible Hindu