Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,31 Jul 2014

Trouble-shooter: MLA takes up arms to save constituency from man-eating tigress

Rajesh Kumar Singh , Hindustan Times  Lucknow, February 17, 2014
First Published: 20:36 IST(17/2/2014) | Last Updated: 09:25 IST(18/2/2014)

BSP MLA from Badhapur assembly seat Bijnore, Mohammad Ghazi, has had enough.

In December, a man-eating tigress sneaked out of the Jim Corbett National Park, Uttarakhand and entered Uttar Pradesh. Since then it has covered over 250 km and killed 10 people. “Six of the victims were from my constituency. People came to me for help,” said the 40-year-old MLA .

And so, he swung into action.

The last few days, Ghazi has been riding through the Sahuwala forest area on horseback, armed with a rifle and accompanied by villagers.

Meanwhile, the forest department is stuck between the truant tigress and the gallant MLA. It has declared the forest a protected area and banned entry of armed persons.

No action has been taken against Ghazi yet, but the district forest department officer Parvin Singh said, “We have urged him not to enter the protected forest area armed with gun. Forest department has already hired sharp shooters and set up traps in the forest to catch the man-eater.”

But Ghazi is in no mood to relent. “I am ready to go to jail, but I will not rest till the tigress is eliminated.”

When reminded that he was neither a professional hunter, nor had he got permission from the government to kill the tiger, he said: “I have won the national rifle shooting competition organised in Nainital. If I kill this tigress I will be doing a great service to the people.”


Advertisement
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved