US national gang-rape: Woman says probe not satisfactory, ready to come to India
The 25-year-old, who works as a teaching aide in US, claimed she was drugged by the accused for several days and it was only later she could recollect the details of the incident.india Updated: Dec 12, 2016 17:44 IST
The US national, who was allegedly gangraped at a five-star hotel in Connaught Place in April, says she was not quite satisfied with the probe and was willing to come down to the country to join the investigation, despite the “nightmarish” experience.
In an email interaction with PTI, the woman shared how she was trying to cope up after the ordeal which still haunts her eight months on.
The 25-year-old, who works as a teaching aide in US, claimed she was drugged by the accused for several days and it was only later she could recollect the details of the incident.
After returning, “it was around end of July, 2016 that I started to remember what happened to me in India. I would get panic attacks, nightmares and anxiety.
“Till date, I get panic attacks on occasions when the incident runs through my mind. I am trying to engage myself in my work and other activities,” she said.
After she came to terms with the incident, the 25-year-old contacted an NGO that sent an email to the Delhi police on October 5.
The woman has spoken to a female police officer a couple of times on phone along with her lawyer and answered some questions but says that she is not satisfied with the pace of investigation.
“I am not at all satisfied with the way the probe is going on. The Delhi police acknowledged the complaint filed by NGO on my behalf on October 17 but no investigation was launched by them. I have been reading media reports and it seems that the police did contact the main accused over phone. I am worried why the accused have not been arrested so far even though an FIR was registered on December 3.”
“I did reply to some of their emails which they were slow to respond to. I fear that the accused might have destroyed any evidence,” she claimed.
Even though she is not comfortable to come back here, she has assured the investigating agencies that she will be visiting the country to assist in case she is needed.
“I was left with horrible memories. I am not comfortable in going to India but I want to go there to join the investigation so that accused may be convicted,” she stressed.
The woman said she was trying to arrange financial assistance for coming to India and the US Embassy in Delhi and some NGOs in the US are helping her in this regard while her family had been providing her the much-needed moral and emotional support.
She had chosen India for her first trip abroad as she was “interested in learning about Indian as well as Middle East culture”, despite being told about concerns over women safety in the country.
“People did warn me and tried to convince me not to go to India for these reasons. I somehow convinced my family for this trip,” she recalled.
After she landed in India, she did not realise what happened to her as she was allegedly sedated by the accused who also made videos of the act and threatened her with dire consequences, the woman said in a police complaint.
“I believe the accused kept drugging me in some form or the other at least for the first three days of my tour,” she said.