Advertisement

HindustanTimes Mon,22 Sep 2014

Vishwaroopam row ends, Haasan agrees on 7 edits

KV Lakshmana, Hindustan Times  Chennai, February 02, 2013
First Published: 19:17 IST(2/2/2013) | Last Updated: 23:57 IST(2/2/2013)

The row around actor-filmmaker Kamal Haasan's Vishwaroopam was finally resolved on Saturday after protesting Muslim groups gave the green signal to release the film in Tamil Nadu, albeit with seven edits.

Advertisement

"We have agreed to mute the sound at certain places. This edited version would be placed before the censors and released after their approval. I will announce the date of the film very soon," Haasan said after the meeting that lasted five-and-a-half hours and was moderated by the state government.

The film had been banned in the state after Muslim groups alleged the film portrayed their community in a negative light.

Haasan said he would withdraw the petition in the Madras high court challenging the ban and expressed hope that the government would revoke its order.

The spokesperson of the Tamil Nadu Towheet Jamaat, one of the organisations that demanded a ban, said Haasan agreed to seven sound cuts.

"He also agreed to remove the preface that says the film is based on true incidents. It would be replaced by another message that says it is a work of fiction and is not directed against any community," he said.


Advertisement
more from India

CBI chief's guest list: SC seeks help of SPP

No relief yet for CBI director Ranjit Sinha in the guest list controversy, the Supreme Court has sought the assistance of  the Special Public Prosecutor in the 2G case. The SC has also agreed to hear lawyer-activist Prashant Bhushan's plea on why he can't name the whistleblower who provided him the list.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved