1 dies, 40 hurt as Star bus turns turtle | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 05, 2016-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

1 dies, 40 hurt as Star bus turns turtle

india Updated: Dec 12, 2006 01:18 IST
Highlight Story

ONE PERSON was killed and nearly 40 others, including an Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI), were injured when a Star bus (MP 04 H 7318) lost control and turned turtle near Raipur village on the Berasia road on Monday morning. The injured persons were admitted to the Hamidia Hospital. According to doctors, the condition of 10 injured was serious. 

According to the Gunga police, the ill-fated bus carrying about 50 passengers was coming towards Bhopal from Berasia. At about 8.30 a.m., when the bus reached near the Chamari river, the drive in his attempt to avoid from being hit by a dumper coming from the other side lost control on a curve, resulting in the incident.

The bus was moving at very high speed at the time of incident. It rolled over three-four times before falling into a ditch on the side of the road.

Most of the passengers were trapped inside the bus. One passenger died on the spot and several others, including women and children, sustained injuries.

The police were informed and a team from the Gunga police station rushed to the spot. A Chetak unit of the police also reached the spot soon.  The policemen removed the trapped passengers and took nearly 40 persons to the Hamidia Hospital.

Some of the injured were discharged after the first aid and about a dozen seriously injured, including ASI B L Atal, were admitted for treatment. The condition of some of the injured is said to be critical.

The police said that the deceased has not yet been identified as he was not a resident of Bhopal or Berasia. The police could not find any papers with him that could help establish his identity.

The police registered a case against the driver of the bus. Police informed families of the injured passengers and they all rushed to the Hamidia hospital. There was chaos at the hospital’s emergency ward for sometime due to influx of the injured passengers followed soon by their panicking family members.

Doctors on duty, nevertheless, provided immediate treatment and medication to the injured passengers and most of them were relieved after treatment while those requiring prolonged treatment were admitted.