Nearly 100 inmates of Laxmibai National University of Physical Education (LNUPE) hostel in Gwalior were taken ill after suspected food poisoning, official sources said on Tuesday.
The inmates complained of vomiting and uneasiness after having meal last night following which nearly 100 of them were admitted in two different hospitals of the city, the sources said.
A total of 400 inmates of the hostel have taken meals last night and among them 100 complained of uneasiness and started vomiting, they said.
So far 22 students were discharged from the hospitals after treatment while rest of them were kept under observation, the sources said.
The condition of all the students admitted in the two hospitals is reported to be out of danger, they said.
The hostel inmates were served paneer and sweet in the dinner after which they fell ill. It was suspected that the milk product might have got stale leading to food poisoning.
The LNUPE Vice Chancellor Major General (Retd) S N Mukherjee told PTI that an inquiry has been ordered into the incident and those responsible for it will not be spared.