101 lives lost since June 11 in Kashmir unrest | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 16, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

101 lives lost since June 11 in Kashmir unrest

india Updated: Sep 19, 2010 01:03 IST
Ashiq Hussain
Ashiq Hussain
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Five lives were lost in Kashmir on Saturday in fresh violence despite the army being deployed in Srinagar and Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani withdrawing his call of protest outside army installations.

The death toll since the beginning of the current phase of unrest on June 11 reached 101.

The army was deployed in south Kashmir on Srinagar-Anantnag highway on Saturday, while it had already been patrolling the streets of north Kashmir and some areas of the central part of the state since Friday.

The road to Srinagar airport has been taken over by the army as the airport opened for traffic after the large-scale violence on the road on September 12.

In Jammu, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah hailed the civil society for maintaining peace and harmony and expressed grief over the death of three civilians in police firing in Mendhar.

After six days of stringent restrictions in the Valley, the authorities relaxed curfew in many uptown areas of Srinagar in the afternoon, which was later extended to old city as well.

Two persons were killed as security forces opened fire in two towns of north and south Kashmir, while the body of 14-year-old Maroof Ahmad Nath was fished out from the Jheelam in Anantnag district. Nath reportedly jumped into the river after being chased by the forces.

Another youth, injured in a stone-throwing incident on Tuesday, died at a Srinagar hospital on Saturday. The day began with Nath’s funeral procession turning violent. The forces opened fire on the angry mourners leading to the death of 30-year-old Noor-ul-Amin Dagga. A police spokesman claimed Dagga died while trying to snatch weapons from the jawans.

In north Kashmir’s Palhalan town, two persons, 22-year-old Ansar Ullah and 35-year-old Ali Mohammad, were killed as the forces opened fire on a group who, according to locals, were coming out of a mosque. But the police spokesman said a huge mob tried to block the Srinagar-Baramulla National Highway. “The mob also started heavy stone-throwing on the forces.”

The authorities have imposed night curfew in areas close to the Line of Control in Kupwara district, following a spurt in infiltration bids by militants ahead of the winter.