Investigations to ascertain involvement of a Fidayeen (suicide) team in July 11 serial blasts in Mumbai was hampered as there was no claimant to the only unclaimed body in the blasts, presently lying at Sion Hospital mortuary, sources said.
Involvement of a Fidayeen squad in the blasts was one of the angles, which the Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) had been probing, sources said
Speculations of involvement of a Fidayeen (suicide) squad were fuelled by an e-mail received by a TV channel from an organisation identifying itself as Lashkar-e-Keher and claiming that one of its members was killed in the blasts, while remaining members returned safely.
ATS Chief KP Raghuvanshi had earlier told reporters that two persons had visited the mortuary in search of their missing kins, and one of them told authorities that he would return with family members to check if the body was that of his relative. He never turned up since then, sources said.
Police have also prepared a digital sketch of the victim from the remains of the body and were awaiting its identification.
"I urge people, who have their kin missing in Mumbai after the blasts, to have a look at the body or the sketches and help police identify the victim," he told reporters.
ATS sources said police was exploring the theory of Fidayeen squads' involvement since the unclaimed victim's body has only the upper torso, while the lower portion was completely destroyed in the blasts.
This is possible only when the person is very close to the explosive device or himself exploded the device, sources said.