At least 11 cattle, died of asphyxiation at Fakirpur on Jagatpur-Choudwar Road on the outskirts of the town, police said on Friday.
The cattle, put in a cowshed, died on Wednesday when the cattle feed accidetnally caught fire.
The cattle belonged to one Umarani Parida who works as a staff nurse at a local hospital.
Parida said the fireplace at the cowshed was ignited as usual with cowdung cakes to keep the mosquitoes at bay, but somehow the flames spread to some cattlefeed leftovers strewn all over.
The cattlefeed comprising rice bran and wheat husk was wet and the shelter, having poor ventilation, was swampy.
No case was registered and the cattle were not insured, police said.