Australia on Wednesday said those arrested for involvement in the attacks on Indian students in the country may face prison term between two to 25 years if convicted.
Australian Minister for Immigration and Citizenship Chris Evans said Victorian police have arrested 11 people so far for the attacks on Indian students and their trial will commence within couple of days.
“I understand their trial will be commencing... and adults convicted of the assaults can be sentenced to between two and 25 ears in these circumstances,” Evans told reporters.
The minister is in New Delhi to reassure New Delhi about the Australian government’s commitment to provide full security to Indian students who have been facing attacks in that country.
On the issue of safety of Indian students in Australia, Evans said his government is absolutely committed to “supporting students to have a positive and fulfilling educational, social and cultural experience in the country.”
“Australian government recognises student’s safety and the possibility of racially targeted attacks as issues of serious concern,” he said.
Evans’ trip follows a visit by a delegation of police and other officials to India earlier this month from Australia.