With negotiations on the bilateral agreement for Indo-US nuclear deal around the corner, the government on Wednesday assured the Lok Sabha that the pact would be finalised only within the framework of the agreement reached between the two countries in July 2005 and the Separation Plan of March 2006.
External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee told the House that the bilateral 123 agreement would also have to stick to the commitments made by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Parliament.
The minister denied reports in a section of the media that the nuclear deal was in jeopardy saying it was not true.He also denied allegations of deviation from the two accords and stated that the two sides were continuing discussions with the aim of finalising the bilateral cooperation agreement on civil nuclear energy.
Mukherjee told the members that several rounds of discussions had already taken place and joint statements of the PM and US President George Bush have been laid on the table of the House.
US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Nicholas Burns is likely to visit New Delhi next week for talks with Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon to sort out the remaining issues for finalising the agreement.