14-day judicial custody for techie | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 23, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

14-day judicial custody for techie

india Updated: May 27, 2012 22:58 IST
HT Correspondent

The Noida police on Sunday produced software engineer Minakshi Singh, 35, before a district court which sent her to 14 days’ judicial custody. Minakshi had been arrested on Saturday for allegedly torturing and forcibly restricting her 14-year-old maid to her Sector 62 flat.

However, the police did an about-turn when it came to her software engineer husband Sushil Singh and gave him a clean chit in the case. The police on Saturday said the girl — a resident of Dhanbad in Jharkhand — had accused Minakshi and her husband of beating her with leather belts and sticks for small errors, all of which had been promptly denied by the 35-year-old.

The police have also made a placement agency a co-accused in the case, though no one from the organisation has been arrested. This agency had provided the girl to the software engineer couple.

“Minakshi is the main accused. The owner of Mahavir placement agency is a co-accused as he sent a minor girl to work as a domestic help,” said Arun Singh, SHO of sector 58 police station.

The police said Sushil had been out of station on a tour when the minor maid had escaped from their flat. The Noida police are in touch with their Delhi counterparts to arrest the owner of the placement agency as the agency operates from the city.

The 14-year-old teen has been sent to a welfare home in Noida. “We had informed her family on Saturday itself. Hopefully, they will reach Noida on Monday and take her back home,” said the SHO.

The placement agency had sent the girl to the Noida couple nearly a year ago. In her police complaint, the girl has said that she was not allowed to step out of the flat and was beaten up whenever she tried to escape. On Thursday, she had finally managed to sneak out of the house. “Some security guards took her to the Sector 58 police station, where she lodged a complaint against the couple,” said the police.

Minakshi, however, has denied the charges. “The girl is lying. We did not torture her at all. I went looking for her right after she left home.”